Friday, December 17, 2010

1992 Apple Duo / Air - iPad - iPhone - iPod Touch

AppleDuo

I was in Wichita, KS back in 1992 when I walked into a computer store looking to buy a laptop computer. At the time the T4400 Series Toshiba the Grid and Thinkpad were the hottest laptops available.

I told the sales representative I was looking for a laptop that would fit in my Zero briefcase, he took me over to this laptop which was the smallest laptop I had seen. It fit perfectly in my briefcase so my first questions were how can I get to the autoexec.bat file and config.sys files.


In general, .sys files were called in config.sys, and .exe programs such as the popular disk caching software SmartDrive provided by Microsoft with MS-DOS 5x, were loaded in the autoexec.bat file. Some devices, such as mice, could be loaded either as a .sys file in config.sys, or as a .com in autoexec.bat, depending upon the manufacturer. In my opinion it was the biggest waste of time trying to figure these files to work with devices that you would need to use with your computer, like a printer.

The sales representative said, no such files. I need to configure my devices, don't need to, he said. The computer he showed me was the PowerBook Duo. It was a line of small subnotebooks manufactured and sold by Apple Computer from 1992 until 1997. It weighing in at a mere 4.1 pounds and slightly smaller at 10.9 × 8.5 in (280 × 220 mm) than a sheet of paper, only 1.4" thick, it was the lightest and smallest of all of Apple's PowerBooks of its time. Only the MacBook Air weighs less, though wider and deeper, but considerably thinner making it the second smallest subnotebook overall. In fact the Duo has the most in common with the MacBook Air.  

My dad had the Apple II back in the 70's, but I never spent to much time with it because living Seattle, Microsoft was the new up and coming OS of the future. I spent 20 years working for an Aerospace and Defense company accessing government data bases and never once had a breach, or crash after switching to my Duo.

I can't tell you how my life has changed after visiting that store in Wichita, I bought the Duo and since then many more great Apple products including the Air.

I could give you a myriad of reasons explaining why you should buy Apple products.   However, for purposes of time and page length, here are some of the more important reasons, it's Intuitive, it works the way you think, there faster and surprisingly cost-effective, fewer viruses and spyware, better software packages, wireless connectivity and setting up a wireless network is super easy. I encourage you to find what I found 18 years ago.  My promise is to keep giving you tips on how to enjoy the Mac...


No comments:

Post a Comment